I gathered a compilation of interesting facts from various books I’ve read:
- It was previously thought that newborn babies weren’t conscious and couldn’t feel pain. So often circumcisions and surgery would be performed without any anesthesia.
- The popular theory with consciousness and fetuses is that the fetus is sedated in the womb. They are bathed in a fluid that contains natural anesthetics and sleep inducing chemicals.
- Locked in syndrome is when a person is completely aware but can’t move any part of their body except for their eyes.
- Using transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), researchers have been able to induce hallucinations in people, such as making them think they have smelled burnt toast or moved their arm when they really haven’t
- Psychosomatic is when a mental factor produces physical effects. The most bizarre, is pseudocyesis or when one starts to exhibits symptoms of pregnancy even though they really aren’t pregnant.
- The thalamus and prefrontal cortex of the brain are thought to be vital for consciousness
- Your consciousness can only register one item at a time. Sure you can hold a baby and read a book at the same time, but usually one of the tasks will require less attention and be automatic (holding a baby). Think of it this way, you can’t read two books at the same time can you?
SOURCE: Most of these are from "Deciphering How the Brain Codes Our Thoughts" by Stanislas Dehaene
Hope you learned something!
That was my exact reaction when I read that to be honest
Fun fact: Cheetahs only attack prey that runs
jesus that is good to know.
Yup, that’s the point you just stay still and let it do whatever the fuck it wants that doesn’t involved you getting eaten.
REALLY FUN FACT for big cats cheetahs are fucking docile as shit
my grandfather ran a cheetah sanctuary in south africa and he’d just lie with them and sleep among them and they’d rub against him and chirp at him they’re big fucking babies
Another Fun Fact: Cheetahs are incredibly nervous animals. One of the (many) reason’s they’re going extinct is that cheetahs are so sensitive and nervous, some of them are literally too nervous to breed. Others will breed, but stress themselves out so much, they’ll lose their cubs.
So zoos with breeding programs had to figure out how to make cheetahs comfortable enough to first of all, get laid and secondly - not spazz themselves into miscarrying.
So what’d they do?
They gave the cheetah’s their very own Service Dogs!
The dogs make them feel safe, protected and secure!
AJHHHHFDDGHH SO PRECIOUS
this post just got so much better
THIS IS OFFICIALLY MY FAVOURITE POST
The mayor of Mississauga, Canada is a badass. via
Hazel McCallion, everbody.
92 years old,
34 years in office,
$0 in debt
$700 million in reserve
Eight prime ministers
But women aren’t strong leaders… OH WAIT.
Now I’m sure somebody’s gonna tell me something but
- supports a Palestinian state
- supports Aids CHarities
- told her city well if we cant get money y’all need to pay taxes and maintains a 76 approval rating
- nick named Hurricane Hazel
- and is so boss lady that she don’t run she’ tells folks to give that money to charity
I will always reblog this lady.
This woman is officially my new hero.
In regards to the flooding in the GTA yesterday, she apparently said that she hasn’t seen rain like that since her neighbour Noah was building a boat.
New hero in life.
Police continue to make arrests at Ferguson protest.
Take note: The moment people stopped reblogging and tweeting and writing news articles and calling attention to Ferguson, they brought back the armored cars. It is not over. They were waiting for the world to lose interest and knew it would.
Re-reblogging for that last part